Deerfield Beach Elementary
A Real Treasure
Opened on February 1st 1927, Deerfield Beach Elementary School is on the National Register of Historical Places. It is the 2nd oldest school, still in use, in Broward County and an excellent example of Classic Mediterranean Revival architecture. Its greatest accomplishment, of course, are the thousands of our children it has educated.
It replaced what is now The Old School Museum next to City Hall. It was built in 1920 and our city’s population quickly became too great for the two room building. It was preceded by a one-room wooden schoolhouse at the intersection of Dixie and Hillsboro.
To build Deerfield Beach Elementary on December 1, 1925 the Board Of Education purchased 3 acres of land for $21,000. Plans for a new school building in the Mediterranean style were designed by Thomas D. McLaughlin & Assocs. A construction bid was awarded to Alfred W. Kimmel Co. of Pompano on July 26, 1926 at a cost of $53,000. The new building opened February1, 1927.
The school was built for grades 1st thru 8th grade with plans for students to go to Pompano for high school.